by Press Officer on 30 October, 2012
A competition attracting an international calibre of pianists to Worthing has been supported by the Worthing County Local Committee.
The Sussex International Piano Competition, to be held at Assembly Hall in April 2013, was awarded £3,000 from the committee’s Community Initiative Fund.
The grant will assist with the event’s running costs.
Chairman of the Worthing County Local Committee, Bob Smytherman, said: “Holding such a prestigious event here in Worthing is a major boost for the town – one we believe will prove inspirational for all generations.”
The committee also agreed to distribute funds to the following seven community projects:
• £5,000 for Guild Care Worthing towards refurbishing the Healthy Living Centre at Methold House, North Street. Dividing doors will be put in, making the venue fit for purpose for small groups;
• £1,000 for Secure Durrington towards purchasing locks and bolts for a bicycle security project;
• £1,000 for Blueprint 22 towards a Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Unsure project for young people aged 16 to 25;
• £750 for Worthing and District Neighbourhood Watch Association towards expanding its website;
• £700 for Worthing Scope towards producing a community play;
• £500 for 4SIGHT towards producing school education packs; and
• £500 for Worthing Kids and Dapper Snapper towards equipment and advertising. The group supports families of children with Downs Syndrome, and is a swim group for children with special needs.Leave a comment